Information and FAQ Regarding the 2020-2021 School Year
PLEASE NOTE: ANSWERS OR PROTOCOLS MAY BE UPDATED OR REVISED TO REFLECT CURRENT PUBLIC HEALTH MANDATES OR OTHER STATE ORDERS
Updated July 23, 2020
The Valley School is aware of the Seattle Public School announcement regarding plans for the reopening of school for 2020-2021. While we are closely monitoring and considering the current status of COVID-19 in our community, The Valley School will generate a reopening plan independent of other school districts, and in line with local state and government requirements.
What are the goals for re-opening The Valley School in the fall?
What conditions will cause Valley to change its plan to reopen?
What guidelines has the State of Washington set for schools to re-open safely?
When is the first day of school, and what are the transition back to school plans?
How will Valley accommodate the needs of students who cannot participate in on-campus learning?
Will the Extended Day Program and Enrichment Classes be offered this year?
What health, safety, and sanitation measures is the school taking to ensure the safety and well-being of students and faculty?
- Containing students and teachers in each grade as separate “pods” or cohorts and minimizing contact across grades as much as possible
- Social distancing, at a 6-foot distance, within classrooms and around campus generally
- Using face masks, or other coverings if permitted, throughout the school day
- Mandatory screening and reporting of symptoms by parents and guardians before each school day
- Hand washing throughout the day, with hand washing stations placed throughout the campus
- Regular instruction and support for habits of hygiene
- Regular and frequent cleaning of learning spaces throughout the day
- Tightly managed parking and traffic guidelines and drop-off/pick up protocols
- Limited access to campus by parents, guardians, and visitors
What should I do if my child gets sick or if someone in my family is suspected of having COVID?
How will you help ensure students and teachers don’t come to school when they are sick?
How will social distancing be practiced on campus and in classrooms?
Will you restrict other people coming to campus?
What will the schedule look like on campus? What will happen during recess and lunch periods?
Will my child need to wear a face mask or covering all the time?
How will The Valley School respond to a resurgence of the coronavirus that causes a return to remote learning?
- Ensure that all children remain fully engaged in their learning while at home
- Continue our regular curriculum
- Provide ways for both students and teachers to remain connected in meaningful ways
- Be responsive to the pressures and needs of parents and guardians, as they take on more responsibility for the education of their children.
During remote learning, what will the schedule be for each grade?
- PreK and Kindergarten will be one hour
- First and second grades will be two hours
- Third, fourth, and fifth grades will be three to four hours
How will the school take care of the learning needs of all students during remote learning?
How can parents and guardians best support the school during the year, both during on-campus and remote learning?
Will there be All School Sing?
How can I stay engaged and share my thoughts and questions?