The Application Process
Welcome to The Valley School application process. We are thrilled to have you exploring The Valley School as an option for your family!
The goal of the admissions process, is for us to get to know your family and your child. Along with that, we share our mission, allow you to explore our campus, and learn more about our educational approach, so you can better determine if Valley is a good fit for your family. Below are the steps that help us both learn more about each other.
- Complete an application (required). The Valley School is one of many Seattle area schools using Ravenna Admit for the online application process. Through Ravenna, you will be able to complete the core application as well as some supplemental forms. Some supplemental forms are shared among multiple schools. This means that you will only need to request items such as the teacher evaluation once, and they will be electronically submitted to the schools that you have applied to through Ravenna. *If you are applying for Pre-K or Kindergarten, please see note regarding age requirements at the bottom of this page.
- Attend a school tour. At The Valley School, we believe that a tour of our school is an important step in the application process. The COVID-19 pandemic has limited our options, but once you have initiated your application in the Ravenna online system, you will see the school tour step and have the ability to sign up for a time. Please contact Lora Kolmer, Director of Admissions and Community Relations at email@example.com if you have any questions about attending a school tour.
- Sign up to Meet a Valley Family. Valley families love to talk about their school and community experience. During The Valley School tour, you will be asked if you would like to be contacted by a Valley Ambassador to learn more about our school experience. A Valley Ambassador will reach out if you are interested in that option. We will also be offering group opportunities to engage with Valley families virtually on Zoom during November and January. More information on those meetings can be found on this web page when they are scheduled, and will be emailed to families who have started an application.
- A Virtual Open House (December 7, 2021 - optional). The Valley School Open House is a virtual event that will allow you to learn more about our exceptional academic program. Head of School Alan Braun, Director of Teaching and Learning Alice Baggett, as well as several other Valley Faculty, will host and speak about the unique details of our educational program. Participants have the opportunity to meet Valley alumni, as well as some current 5th Grade students, and will be able to ask questions. The registration link for this webinar can be found in the online application system, or you may click here. Contact Lora Kolmer, Director of Admissions and Community Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about this event.
- Child Video Assessments (and possible Valley playground meet up). To help us get to know your student, in another year where it is complicated to meet in person, we will ask you to videotape your child completing several tasks. This will allow us to see the skill level of applicants, and help build a well-rounded class for the upcoming school year. You'll find this final step in the online application system and is called the Virtual Child Assessment. Several schools are collaborating on the virtual assessment process, making it easier for families to complete just one set of videos that is uploaded to several schools. We hope to also offer an on campus playground meet up as part of the assessment process, however, that component is tentative and will be determined by CDC and Washington State COVID-19 guidelines as we move closer to February 2022.
*A note regarding age requirements:
Children most appropriate for our learning program will turn 4 years old by September 1 to apply for our Pre-K room, and 5 years old by September 1 to apply for our Kindergarten. Children with a birthday close to the date cutoff may be considered during the admission process. Contact Lora Kolmer (email@example.com) to explore this option.
Questions? Contact Lora Kolmer, Director of Admissions and Community Relations firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
IMPORTANT ADMISSION DATES FOR 2021-2022:
- Wednesday, November 17, 2021: Valley Sibling Application Deadline
- Wednesday, December 15, 2021: Valley Sibling Notification Deadline
- Thursday, January 13, 2022: Application Deadline
- Thursday, February 3, 2022: Financial Aid Deadline
- Friday, March 18, 2022: Lower School/Middle School Decision Date
- Friday, March 25, 2022: Lower School/Middle School Reply Deadline
THE VALLEY SCHOOL ADMISSION NON-DISCRIMINATION STATEMENT
The Valley School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, creed, age, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, family composition, gender identity, veteran’s status, disability, use of a trained service animal, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.