Thank you for your interest in The Valley School!
At The Valley School, we ignite children's natural passion for learning. Our students develop an academic foundation and become joyful learners through playful work, purposeful play, and the practice of community.
Furthermore, our philosophy, practice, and decision-making regarding admission to The Valley School are grounded in our values of Collaboration, Respect for individuality, Kindness, Creativity, Equity and Inclusion, and Childhood.
This Mission and these Values steer our admission goals and policies towards the creation of a vibrant, engaged, and diverse community of children and parents from the greater Seattle community. Our aim is both to enroll students and families whom we believe will thrive in our mission-driven school, as well as to create classroom communities that include a diversity of children, each with unique qualities and characteristics.
In order to provide this depth of perspectives and experiences, which we believe support our educational mission, we strive to create classrooms that are inclusive of students within a broad range of normal development, socio-economic levels, ethnic and cultural representation, race, family composition, and gender. We seek to ensure that each class includes families who value the variety of backgrounds and experiences represented in our community.
- Complete an application (required). The Valley School is one of many Seattle area schools using Ravenna Admit for the online application process. Through Ravenna, you will be able to complete the core application as well as request supplemental forms. Supplemental forms are common forms that are shared among multiple schools. This means that you will only need to request the teacher evaluation and the school records once and they will be electronically submitted to the schools that you have applied to through Ravenna. Please note: Children must be 4 years old by August 31 for Pre-K and 5 years old for Kindergarten.
- Attend a school tour (required). At The Valley School, we believe that a tour of our school is an important step in the application process. Visiting parents/guardians will have the opportunity to hear about our program, tour all classrooms and meet our Head of School. The tour is for adults only and can be scheduled by clicking here. If you have any questions, please contact Lora Kolmer, Director of Admissions and Community Relations at email@example.com.
- Consider attending our Open House (optional). Attend Open House on Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 6:30 p.m. You will have the opportunity to hear from our Head of School, Valley alumni, as well as visit two of our classrooms to hear about our educational programs directly from teachers. This optional school visit begins promptly at 6:30 p.m. and is for adults only. While not required, your RSVP allows us to make preparations for this event. Thank you!
- Schedule a child visit (required). Once your application is complete in Ravenna, you will be contacted by email to schedule the child visit. Early completion of your application will allow for more time for this step.
- Children applying to Pre-K will be scheduled to visit on Saturday, February 29 or Monday, March 9 with visit times scheduled for 11:00 a.m. to noon on both days.
- Children applying to Kindergarten will be scheduled to visit on Saturday, February 29 or Monday, March 9 with visit times scheduled for 9-10 a.m. on both days.
- Children applying to Grades 1-2 will be scheduled to visit on Monday, March 9 from 11 a.m. - Noon or another mutually agreeable day during regular school hours.
- Children applying to Grades 3-5 will be scheduled to visit on Monday, March 9 from 10 a.m. - Noon or on another mutually agreeable day during regular school hours.